Tuesday, July 9, 2013

On-The-Go Snacks

Usually my typical weekend consists of at least one evening out with friends in which we tend to meander around town looking for random adventures. My friends love the delicacies of fast food (curly fries, soda, chocolate turnovers, etc.), so we usually end up stopping at at least one fast food place during the night. I try to opt out of buying anything on these fast-food runs, since I hate the gross and bloated feeling I get after eating fast food. My friends' snacking mood usually rubs off on me, though, so I always throw a healthier option in my bag before heading out. Here are a few of my favorite on-the-go snacks!



Apples
Apples are small, portable, and satisfying. The naturally-occurring sugar in them satisfies any possible sugar cravings.

Peanuts
One of my favorite snacks are peanuts, which are easy to toss in a zip-lock bag and bring with me. Be aware that peanuts are quite calorie-dense, so don't go overboard. A small handful or two is more than enough to fend off the snacking bug anyway.

Luna bars
I love these! At around 200 calories each, they're a great on-the-go option. My favorites are Peanut Butter Cookie (shown above), Nutz Over Chocolate, and Caramel Nut Brownie. The Luna protein bars are good as well.

Larabars
Gluten free, dairy free, and vegan, with a small list of ingredients, Larabars are a fantastic healthy choice. For some reason, I'm just now getting into these, but they're already on my list of go-to snacks. The other day I tried the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip flavor and loved it!

Going out with friends doesn't have to mean giving up on trying to eat healthy for the night. Once you start snacking on something healthier, that brownie cheesecake milkshake or large order of salty fries probably won't look nearly as tempting. Also, always make sure to bring a water bottle with you, in case you're not near a convenient source of water. It's easy to mistake thirst as hunger, so sipping on water often takes away that supposed hungry feeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment